Habitat for Humanity Tajikistan (HFHT) is a biggest housing development organization in Tajikistan focused on shelter and it has developed a range of programs and projects in such strategic directions like Disaster Risk Reduction, Advocacy, Investment and Technical Assistance, WASH. Working since 1999, thanks to diversified projects and strategic partnership HFHT has been enabled to support more than 30 000 families to build, repair and renovate their homes and provided access to clean and safe drinking water for 2,500 families in rural areas. More than 5000 individuals have been trained on disaster response, construction and vocational skills, financial education and health and hygiene. Since the beginning of operation more than 200 000 individuals benefited from HFHT construction and non-construction services. Being a national representative of Habitat for Humanity International, HFHT is supported by regional and head office build capacity, grow and operate to contribute to the global mission of eliminating poverty housing.
Habitat for Humanity is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the cause of eliminating poverty housing. Founded in 1976 Habitat now works in nearly 1,400 communities across the U.S. and in approximately 70 countries and has helped 9.8 million people achieve strength, stability and independence through safe, decent and affordable shelter. In Europe and Central Asia, Habitat for Humanity works in 20 countries, building and repairing houses, offering housing microfinance services, improving water and sanitation, working on disaster response and advocating for affordable housing, all with families in need.
Current and future Programming Direction
Future programming direction of Habitat for Humanity Tajikistan will be focused in the following sectors:
- Market Development: HMF sector support - partnership through ITA/HSS both in country and abroad
- Habitat Resource Center – innovative technologies and housing solutions, construction and infrastructure renovation services
- Sustainable/Green building - energy efficiency and smart green energy solutions in housing
- Water & Sanitation – infrastructure, new technologies and solutions, awareness raising and capacity building
- Advocacy – promoting women housing rights, support condominium association development
- Disaster Response and Preparedness – innovative technologies for safe housing, capacity building
Since the start of its operation HFHT has implemented more than 30 projects throughout Tajikistan. Around 70% of projects were carried out in rural area supporting most vulnerable and remote communities. Currently HFHT operates in 38 districts of 3 provinces (out of 4) - Sughd, Khatlon, DRD where more than 90% of country population lives. Around 40 permanent staff work in affiliates, field and head offices across the country.
Below is a list of completed (within the last 3 years) and ongoing projects with geographic areas:
- Building and Training Centre – Asht district of Sughd, Kumsangir district of Khatlon province
- Housing Micro Finance and Housing Support Services – more than 30 districts of Sughd, Khatlon and DRD provinces.
- WASH – Bio Sand Water Filters - Kumsangir, Jillikul and Panj districts of Khatlon province, and Konibodom, J.Rasulov and Isfara districts of Sughd province.
- Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) - Rasht, Panj and Kumsangir districts of DRD and Khatlon.
- Energy-efficient heating stoves “VULKAN” – Sughd province
- Remittance linked housing finance product (IFAD) – Rasht district of DRD
On regional level, serving as Micro Build Fund consultant HFHT provides technical assistance to partner financial institutions in Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.